Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

Update on my personal narrative

I'm actually pretty excited about this!  My paper is coming along well.  It's kind of like that whole searching for a needle in a haystack analogy...  I have removed a stack of hay and thought I saw a glimmer.  Emphasis on thought I may have possibly seen a glimmer.  There is truth.  The needle is in the haystack.  I just still have to find it. :)
In all reality, I have drafted 4 pages of just telling the story.  There is no dialogue which is my big bundle of hay right now.  Once I remove that, I feel like I will have a much easier search for the needle.  I just need to figure out how to get detailed enough into an event that needs a lot of explaining and spans over a week.  Or maybe that's it!  I need to figure out what explaining I have done that was completely unnecessary!  I think I may have just solved my problem from writing this blog.  Thanks, guys.  Any other helpful ideas?

3 comments:

  1. I love your analogy of a needle in a haystack. Writing often just requires narrowing out bad ideas until the good ones become clear. That's basically what revising is all about. It actually makes writing seem easier. You don't have to produce the needle from thin air; nobody can just sit down and write a perfect paper. You just have to trim away the straw until only the needle is left; it's much easier to tell the difference between good and bad writing. This is an awesome analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree, but the hard part is when the needle is the same color as the straw. Then its a lot harder to to end up writing something that's good. If you just trim haphazardly, you can destroy your idea without ever knowing it was there. But yes, you have a great analogy for what writing a paper is like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this "needle in a haystack" analogy can be compared to life in general, along with the writing process. I love it! We all have a big bundle of hay that has to be moved in order for us to reach our full potential. I think the way you explained this analyogy is awesome.

    ReplyDelete