Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Night: "Feed My Lambs" Response

I picked this narrative to respond to because I feel like I understand it the most.  To be completely honest, at the beginning, I found myself actually laughing out loud because it reminded me so much of home!  Not only was the narrative funny, but it was touching and well written.

In Charlestown, there is quite a large diversity of groups.  We mostly had gangsters, rednecks, and everybody else.  There was a large amount of racial diversity as well.  So, naturally, I could easily compare to Mrs. Campbell’s story.  I found her description of the kids’ actions in the beginning to be hilarious because that is exactly what it’s like.  It’s not really funny, but it made me laugh because she described it so well.  Does that make sense?

I also found her story very touching to me personally.  Often I would find myself watching the other kids act at school exactly as described in the narrative and wish that I could help them in some way.  Mrs. Campbell’s story shows a way that those kinds of kids can be helped.  I know how she felt being LDS and being surrounded by those kinds of kids.  It is really quite depressing.  They don’t know any better and they act that way because that’s the only way they know how to act.  There are some scary streets where I’m from, and it sounds like she’s seen similarly scary things.

I was impressed with Mrs. Campbell and how she was able to affect her students.  It takes a lot to reach out to kids like that.  I enjoyed reading her experience.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't read this story. I read the other option. I'm not really sure what this story is about but it sounds interesting.

    I understand what you mean by laughing because of the descriptions accuracy. Some descriptions are just so well done that it amazes you with its accuracy. This tends to make you laugh. I'm not really sure why.

    I find it interesting that a story about school could be so enjoyable. It's true that everyday events can have a lot of meaning. Sometimes we don't think about it. I usually assume no one else cares about the little stories in my life but a good writer can bring any story to life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this story, and I do agree. It is easy to emphasize with Mrs. Campbell because I'm pretty sure we all know at least one person who matches a description of one of the kids in her class.

    I did like reading through the story, but I am very glad that I have never lived in that kind of a neighbor-hood.

    Everyday events in our lives can be extremely meaningful, but if someone wrote a story about my life, the readers would die from boredom before the 60th page.

    ReplyDelete